Obviously, most people want a full-time permanent position with benefits. But as a lot of people have experienced, it is not always easy securing full-time employment and it may take much longer than expected. The process of searching for a job, sending resumes, waiting and interviewing can become a bit tedious. And before you know it, you are stuck in a rut. However, there are other opportunities you may want to explore while continuing the search for permanent employment. This is how working on short-term assignments may help pull you out of the drudgery.
Short-term assignments can be helpful in many ways.
- They can introduce you to environments you may not have considered or experienced before.
- They have a definite start/end date to give you more flexibility.
- The different assignments/projects can be fun.
- They can help keep you active while you look for something more permanent.
- It will provide some cash flow and it will also help prevent long employment gaps in your job history.
- It will show you were not idle but rather proactive.
Short-term assignments could also potentially lead to a more permanent role. There have been cases where a contractor performed so well, the client decided to extend the length of the assignment, and in some cases, the assignment led to a more permanent position. Clients may even decide you are a good fit for another opening within the organization. You just never know what kind of opportunities may be waiting but the important thing is to connect yourself to the possibilities. So, explore your options and make yourself available. Who knows where it could lead?
Looking for short-term or long-term employment in the Washington, DC area?
Contact a Hire Standard professional for career advice on for up-to-date news on the employment market.